Is it okay to sprinkle baby powder on your hair as a dry shampoo?
The monsoon season is right here and we are able to’t cease however gush over the greenery. Nonetheless, one factor that stops swaying and loses its bounce in the course of the wet season is our hair. Humidity could make our mane go sticky, frizzy and unkempt. No styling stays in place and hair begins to look flatter and limp. That’s when most of us flip to dry shampoos. They not solely add bounce to our hair but in addition assist in controlling extra oil manufacturing within the scalp.
Nonetheless, many ladies have discovered our personal hack for a dear dry shampoo– child powder! It’s finely milled, light-weight and does just about the identical job with out burning a gap within the pocket. However, is it actually okay to make use of child powder as a substitute for dry shampoo?
Well being Pictures spoke to Dr Gunjan Verma, Advisor Dermatologist, HCMCT Manipal Hospital, Dwarka, who helped us clear our doubts round dry shampoo.
What’s dry shampoo?
Dr Verma says, “Mainly, dry shampoo is utilized by most ladies attributable to their busy schedules. In a majority of the instances, ladies will not be capable of wash their hair with water every single day. These powder-based shampoos are alcohol and starch-based merchandise that take up excess oil from the scalp that’s secreted by the sebaceous glands within the scalp. Nowadays even celebrities are endorsing these manufacturers so individuals are shopping for it despite the fact that it’s expensive.”
“Since there’s a lack of cheaper options out there, individuals are utilizing child powder as dry shampoos. Nonetheless, It’s suggested to make use of merchandise which can be designed and approved for use on scalps. Since child merchandise will not be designed for hair, there are various hair issues younger individuals can face. Subsequently, it’s steered to not use this various as it may well prove dangerous in the long term,” she provides.
Although child powder works the identical as a dry shampoo, there are some drawbacks:
- The formulation of child powder is completely different from that of dry shampoo. Child powder has talc and sure mineral oils that aren’t good for the scalp.
- Some talcum powder might have sulphur or synthetic perfume that may transform very dangerous to the scalps.
- Ladies affected by pimples, seborrheic dermatitis or another situation of the face and scalp shouldn’t resort to child powder as it might worsen the issues and trigger hair loss and alopecia too.
- “If an individual has dark-coloured hair and they’re utilizing white-coloured child powder on the scalp, it might go away a white residue that not solely appears unhealthy but in addition turns into a breeding floor for micro organism,” says Dr Verma.
- Folks with scanty and skinny hair ought to keep away from it. The powder may additionally look ugly and hurt the roots by inflicting product buildup and clogging of pores.
- For girls who’ve issues like dandruff and eczema, it is strongly recommended to not use child powder or a dry shampoo.
- One should additionally keep away from alcohol-based merchandise which have butane, propane and isobutane that are almost certainly present in some dry shampoos.
It is best to perceive the truth that these shampoos will not be an alternative choice to typical methods of washing your hair with shampoo and water. A correct hair cleaning routine must be adopted much more religiously if one is utilizing a dry shampoo to keep away from product buildup and stop scalp infections. One should totally learn the composition of the product earlier than utilizing it. It’s okay to make use of child powder occasionally but it surely shouldn’t be used as a behavior and one have to be proof against utilizing it. If completely mandatory, don’t overlook to clean your hair instantly after coming again.